This documentation will help you become an expert in event-driven serverless functions within minutes.
👩💻 Writing functions
📢 Sending events
Learn how to trigger background jobs by sending events from your code
Deploy functions to your platform of choice, such as Vercel, Netlify, Cloudflare, or AWS
What is Inngest?
Inngest is a serverless platform that allows you to build, test, and deploy serverless background functions and scheduled tasks — without any infrastructure, queues, or stateful long-running services.
Using Inngest you can write serverless functions triggered by events within your existing code, zero boilerplate or infra required.
- Fully serverless: Run background jobs, scheduled functions, and build event-driven systems without any servers, state, or setup
- Deploy anywhere: works with NextJS, Netlify, Vercel, Redwood, Express, Cloudflare, and Lambda
- Use your existing code: write functions within your current project, zero learning required
- A complete platform: complex functionality built in such as event replay, canary deploys, version management and git integration
- Fully typed: Event schemas, versioning, and governance out of the box
- Observable: A full UI for managing and inspecting your functions
- Any language: Use our CLI to write functions using any language
How it works
Inngest accepts events from your system, then runs any functions which listen to those events in parallel, with built retries if things fail. Events are JSON objects sent via POST request and can be triggered from your own code, from webhooks, or from integrations.
Inngest users are typically developers and data engineers. They use Inngest to reliably run background work, serverless functions, and scheduled jobs across a variety of use cases. Common examples include:
Building reliable webhooks
Inngest acts as a layer which can handle webhook events and that run your functions automatically. The Inngest Cloud dashboard gives your complete observability into what event payloads were received and how your functions ran.
Serverless background jobs
Ensure your API is fast by running your code, asynchronously, in the background, without queues or long-running workers. Background jobs are triggered by events and have built in retries and logging.
Run your function on a schedule to repeat hourly, daily, weekly or whatever you need.
Trigger scripts in your code to run from your own internal tools or third party products like Retool.
User journey automation
Use customer behavior events to trigger automations to run like drip email campaigns, re-activation campaigns, or reminders.
Developers can send and subscribe to a variety of internal and external events, creating complex event-driven architectures without worrying about infrastructure and boilerplate.
Complex pipelines & workflows
Build multi-step pipelines and workflows using conditional logic, delays or multiple events.
Ready to get started?
Learn how to write functions in your project within a few secondsGet started