The lifecycle of a background job starts in your application with an event.
- Your application uses the Inngest SDK to send events within your code, for example, at the end of a user signup flow.
- Inngest receives the event and immediately stores the full event history for logging and future retries and replays.
- Inngest then determines if this event should trigger one or more of your functions and then schedules and enqueues jobs.
- Inngest then reads from the queue and executes jobs via HTTP and manages state across retries and multiple steps.
- Your application receives the request via the SDK's serve handler and the job runs in your application.