Inngest is an open source platform that enables developers to build amazing products by ensuring serverless functions are reliable, schedulable and event-driven.
Two trends have shaped our vision for the Inngest platform: event-driven systems are driving some of the world's greatest products and building these systems is extremely hard.
We believe that event-based systems can be beautifully simple and we're building the world's first developer platform that allows people to build event-driven products in minutes. Our aim is to give developers the superpowers they need to just build. Developers deserve first class local tooling and a platform that gives them everything they need to deliver, not just the underlying plumbing or infrastructure.
We're beginning our product journey focused on the early adopter - the person who embraces the developer cloud: modern solutions that put developer experience at the forefront of the product. Our initial goal is to build the absolute best platform and tooling for devs to build anything that runs in the background using events. We're partnering with key companies to fill a key gap in the current ecosystem and bring Inngest to the masses. We have very big plans beyond that - if you're curious, drop us a note.
You will be our newest Backend engineer on the Inngest team. You'll be focused on building, scaling, and improving our backend system and architecture. You'll primarily write Go and you'll work across our open source repo and our internal backend monorepo. Your work will touch all parts of the developer workflow, from local development to deployment to operating and managing their serverless functions. We're building tools that developers will use in their every day workflow including running production systems, so efforts to improve UX, performance and reliability are primary. Importantly, you'll need a strong product mindset and an interest in developer tools.
The location for this role is between Western Europe (CET) and US Pacific time (PT).
What you'll do
- Build new features or improvements in our open source project and then upstream them into our internal monorepo.
- Write specs for system improvements to clearly document your proposed approach as well as alternative approaches.
- Propose systematic improvements to our architecture or infrastructure that might improve scale, reliability or performance.
- Maintain our production system along side other engineers.
- Collaborate with engineers and founders to develop new APIs, features and tools used across the Inngest cloud dashboard, dev server and CLI.
- Dogfood the Inngest product and develop ideas for improvements, features, or integrations.
- Contribute to growth efforts from writing blog posts, building tools as marketing, and contributing to our developer documentation.
- Communicate with Inngest users through Github issues or questions on our Discord community.
What you've done in your career
- You've been working on the backend building complex systems for several years.
- You've written Go in a professional environment for 2 or more years.
- You've scaled backends to significant levels of usage.
- You've worked with different types of databases (relational, non-relational, KV, etc.) and understand the right use case for each.
- You've designed features and modelled database schema for performance and efficiency.
What your first 90 days will look like
- First week: You'll learn how we work as a team and our approach to growth. You'll also start to learn our system architecture and hopefully make a couple small contributions to the Inngest open source project.
- By day 30: You'll be proficient with our weekly cadence of work and you'll have contributed a new feature to our dev server or cloud platform. You'll fully understand our company, product, and growth strategy and start to build up context for your product mindset.
- By day 90: You'll have shipped significant changes to our open source project as well as our cloud platform that you also had a hand defining the spec for. You'll also have learned where you feel you can contribute to outside of the engineering domain (growth, UX design, DevRel, etc.) and have contributed ideas around product and growth. We're all aligned and mutually excited about how we work together now and in the future!
What we build with
- Backend: Go, Postgres, Redis, PubSub, and… Inngest (of course)
- Core GraphQL API generated with gqlgen
- Hosted on GCP, AWS, and Vercel, managed via Terraform
- TypeScript & React front-ends with hooks
- Tailwind and Styled Components
- Github, Linear, Discord, Notion
What we offer
- Competitive salary and equity
- Remote-first - work from anywhere
- Health, dental, and vision insurance (US)
- International employment and payroll via OysterHR
- M2 Macbook Pro
- 4 weeks vacation + local national holidays
- 401k (US)
How to apply
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include:
- Your resume
- Why you'd like to join our team
- Links to your: Github, Linkedin, Twitter (if applicable)
- If applicable (i.e. for DevRel), provide samples of your work (writing, video content, conference talks, etc.)
- Your location